Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold 2 is a superb device that lets you have the best of both worlds, a pocketable smartphone and a tablet at the same time. Samsung have done a decent job with the launcher on the Z Fold 2, however I usually prefer to use Nova Launcher but this was not previously possible due to everything being cramped on the front display. This is now possible thanks to a wonderful Reddit member called Waylaidwanderer and a Tasker profile.
Please see my below video to see the profile in action. I will detail the process below.
- Firstly you will need to download the Tasker profile made by Waylaidwander on the GalaxyFold subreddit. Store this on your device so you can find it later. Download the profile here.
- Install Tasker from the Google Play Store (£3.19), AutoTools (Free), Applications Info (Free) and the two launchers of your choice. I personally recommend Nova Launcher and Niagara Launcher for the front display.
- Install ADB on your computer if this is not already installed. I recommend using minimal ADB from XDA Developer Forums here.
- Open Tasker and grant all the permissions it asks for, Accessibility, Draw over other Apps etc.
- Grant ADB rights to Tasker. Plug your Galaxy Z Fold 2 into your computer with a USB Cable. Open the minimal ADB we installed earlier. Type in adb devices and make sure your fold is showing as a connected device. After this, type adb shell pm grant net.dinglisch.android.taskerm android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
- I recommend now setting up the launchers you installed earlier. Open them from the Samsung App Drawer and set them up accordingly.
- Now open Autotools, make sure permissions are granted when they pop up.
- Now open Tasker, press the 3 dots in the top right corner, choose data, then restore. Now use the Tasker.XML profile we downloaded in the first step.
- You will now see Waylaidwanderer’s profile and settings. Click on VARS (4th Tab). You will now see %FoldedLauncher and %UnfoldedLauncher. This is where you will select the launchers you installed earlier. Folded launcher represents your front display and unfoldedlauncher represents the bigger inner display. Open Applications Info that we installed earlier, under the title of your launcher you will see the required name. In my case, Niagara Launcher is bitpit.launcher and Nova Launcher is com.teslacoilsw.launcher.
- Now click the 3 dots again at the top in tasker, choose preferences, then choose Monitor. Scroll down until you see Application Check Milliseconds, change this from 1500 to 500.
- You should now be all set, go into Settings, Choose Apps, Press the three dots and choose Default Apps. Now change your Home App to AutoTools.
- It may take a few minutes for the profiles to settle but now you can use two launchers.
- If you find Nova Launcher is redrawing everytime you swipe up, set Nova Launcher as the default launcher and use it for around a minute. Then change back to Auto Tools.
- It is recommended to exclude your launchers from battery optimization, this also needs to be done for Tasker and AutoTools.
- If you find that swiping up for recent apps isnt smooth. Download Samsung Good Lock from the Galaxy Apps Store. Install the Task Manager module and turn that on. I use the large stack and think it looks better than the default one anyway.